About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, June 12, 2009

The Good Life

It's the end of our third week without Nanny and this week has been a whole lot more civilised. Granted, it's Friday afternoon and things usually kick off in our house on a Friday afternoon due to over tired children and a fairly shattered Aunty Belinda. However, I'm determined that this Friday will not be that way.

In some strange little ways I've thoroughly enjoyed this week. We've had the usual ups and downs. One of the highs came last night. I scoured our little local library for books on hunting for Dad and I've taken them all out to keep him amused (all three!). Well I was about to rue the day that I'd done that last night as he came into the lounge, armed with his book and a silly grin on his face right in the middle of a good guy v bad guy drama on telly. However, the story he shared was so funny that it took twice as long as it should to get through it while we both giggled like little girls and wiped the tears from our eyes. I'm going to post the story here once he's finished the book because it's just too funny not to share.
The other high came from finally completing the blanket. As I posted earlier this morning, I had a child free couple of hours. I ended up by watching Becoming Jane on DVD and completing this gorgeous array of colour. To be honest, it's got way more colour than I'm usually comfortable with, but it's soft, it's warm, it's big and the kids love it. And, it's the single largest project I've undertaken to date. I did give myself a little mental pat on the back for completing it - along with the very strange reverse single crochet stitch in which you work backwards along a row, stitching to the right instead of the left. Looks good though.
So now, just the weekend to survive. Grandad is doing a little baby sitting tomorrow morning while Kayley and I go shoe shopping. She's been wearing a very pretty pair of pink shoes all week that are at least one size too small so we really need to get her something that fits and blends well with all the fancy shoes the fancy British kids wear to school (hopefully at half the cost). Added to this, I know crocks are comfortable but I really need something more socially acceptable also . . . I can't wear crocks every day for the rest of my life. (A shame, I know.)

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous blanket - I bet there will be some happy children snuggled under that over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Blog
    http://www.wretch.cc/blog/markacey
    Thanks for your share
    Nice to meet you

    Hsinchu, Taiwan

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Blog
    http://www.wretch.cc/blog/markacey
    Thanks for your share
    Nice to meet you

    Hsinchu, Taiwan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your post . . . nice to meet you also.

    ReplyDelete