About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, June 19, 2009

The Good Ole Days


Do you remember the stories we used to hear from grandparents and the such like about how they trekked miles a day on a little pony, an inch of snow on the ground just to get a loaf of bread or to get to school? I know I do and used to laugh thinking of them. Unfortunately, the way petrol prices are going I think those days are coming back.
I filled my car this morning to the tune of $70. When I bought my car I lived in Auckland and it used to cost $45 to fill, and that would easily be a round trip from Auckland to Tauranga and running about as well. When I moved to Rotorua it used to be $20 round trip easily. These days, when that horrid little orange light glows on the dash board, $20 barely brings the dial round to quarter full.
So I'm thinking, when we move into the new house I'll have to purchase a pony, a warm coat and teach Kayley to ride. Then she can hop on her pony and head off to school every morning. I laugh as I write this as I know she'd think that was the best thing in the world . . . until she had to carry her own school bag, put on lots of clothes and head off alone with no one to play "Spot the Red Car" with her. Then again, with petrol prices the way they are maybe there'll be lots of kids riding to school and they can play "Spot the Piebald Pony" with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment