About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Oldies but Goodies

In the realm of baking, I like to try new and exciting things. I like to think I'm adding to my repertoire of yummy things for us all to eat. However, on many occasions my three taste testers devour the sight of a new recipe, but let me down on the enthusiasm of the actual taste. "Wow, that looks amazing" I hear. Chomp, chomp, chomp . . . "Can I have a biscuit please" is quite often how my new recipe is received. Now, not everyone is of this mind. Grandad and Janae are only too happy to eat absolutely anything I throw at them (Grandad, who doesn't like cheese, finished off all the macaroni cheese last night).


So, I decided that today (Sunday being baking day) that I'd go back to a couple of old favourites . . . the stuff my mum used to make and then forbid us to eat. And I'm sharing these ancient recipes cos they've just got to be made and loved.





Rocky Mellow


(This recipe is from the Girl Guide book that came out when I was in Brownies
many, many moons ago)






2 1/2 crushed weet bix
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 Cup Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
175 gms melted butter




Mix all the dry ingredients together and stir through the melted butter. Press into a greased slice tray and bake at 180 degrees (c) for approximately 15 mins. (I have made this a little too dry sometimes, so if it looks really dry before you press into a baking tray then add a little more butter).




When it's cool, ice like so:
Dissolve 1 dessert spoon of gelatin in 1 cup of boiling water, add 1 cup of sugar and mix with an electric beater until creamy and beginning to thicken. Add food colouring of your choice and pour over the slice. When it's set, cut up and serve.




The next recipe is one that's hand written in my mum's book so I have no idea where this one came from. I do know it's circa 1985 though.
Russian Shortcake
5 oz butter
5 oz sugar
9 oz flour
1 Tablespoon Golden Syrup
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Pinch Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 cup sultanas
Melt butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pot on the stove. Once melted take off the heat and stir in the egg previously beaten with vanilla essence. Stir in sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Add sultanas. Pour into a greased slice tin and bake at 180 degrees (c) for approximately 15-20 mins, or until golden brown on top and soft to touch. When it's cool ice with lashings of chocolate butter icing and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment