About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The beauty of "Blocking"



I was doing some research on how to frame laces and doilies this morning and I discovered some information on blocking. Blocking was something I'd heard of but had no idea what it was, what it entailed and how important it is when getting the best out of crochet work with cotton. The first picture shows a pineapple motif that is complete but unblocked. The second is a quick blocking just to see how it works: the results speak for themselves.
So how do you block? It's easy.
1. Spray your piece quite liberally with water and then start gently pulling and stretching or positioning your work until it's in shape. I did mine on a bath towel so that I could pin it in place as I needed.
2. Once it's where you want it, get a cotton cloth (I used an old handkerchief . . . clean of course) and lay it over the piece and iron with a hot iron.
Voila! That's all there is to it. And, if you're not quite satisfied, give it a spray in the errant spot and start the process again.
I'm currently working on what is supposed to be a doily but is getting so large it's more like a mini table cloth. It's also a pineapple design, only more intricate than shown above so it's going to really benefit from some blocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment