About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Down the Rabbit Hole


I heard this saying (outside of the book) for the first time the other day and have been dying to find a way to apply to my own life. Now I have the perfect excuse. Pictured left is my new obsession. I found a book in a second hand bookshop the other day and it's full of beautiful crochet lace projects. I had two difficulties with it: 1. Almost all the patterns use 10 gauge cotton (the smallest gauge available); 2. The patterns are in stitch guides only. As you can see, it appears that neither have proven to be that much of a obstacle. Also, I have always shied away from doing a filet pattern. All that mesh just looked a little too fiddly for my taste (I know, go figure, how could anything be too fiddly for someone who keeps trying to make their stitches smaller and smaller?) but it's actually lots of fun to do. It's very like cross stitch really, working the image into a grid. I'm having so much fun with this

Maybe you're wondering at the difference between this post and the previous post from today. I've just spent an hour on the phone with my mum. While it's not even close to a big hug and a proper face-to-face chat, I still feel way better. And, I've asked Dad to take the kids to their visit tomorrow so that I can stay in my pajamas tomorrow morning and head straight back to bed once I've seen them all off. Oh, and Mum's made me promise to enlist the help of some friends next week so I get some time out. I realised this evening that I've had a total of 6 hours without at least one of the children in the past six weeks. That's one hour a week. Maybe it's okay to be feeling a little overwhelmed. And I need to remind myself that I'm not failing in my job/role if I ask for help

So the whole point of my earlier post was that I needed to be true. I started this blog process as a way of recording all of what I go through in this journey with the three children. It was cathartic just writing it; however, posting it meant being true to me.

1 comment:

  1. Mums are just the best aren't they. It sounds like pyjama therapy is just the thing and bed, dear sweet bed. Don't forget a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete