About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Escapees


Getting around to having a shower is never an easy feat; however, today I saw Rogan and Janae happily playing while watching a DVD so thought "Ah ha, I'll race in now". I explained where I was going, urged them to come get me if they needed anything and headed off for a quick, hot scrub down.
I got out to complete silence (save for the sounds of The Wheels on the Bus). The panic started to rise. I wandered through the house expecting to find them into no good in a room they weren't supposed to be in and discovered an empty nest, a back door wide open and a three wheeled scooter mysteriously missing from the drive. Panic rose even more. I grabbed my shoes and marched down the drive, all the while images of my babies floating in the tide like a pair of expired gold fish racing through my head. Thankfully a neighbour stuck his head out his door and asked if I wanted my 'tribe' back. They'd gone visiting and were helping Murray bake a cake and prepare dinner for his wife. Whew. When I got to the door there they were, each with a cake batter covered spoon in hand and a big grin.
I always wondered about those parents who hugged their children all the while fuming with them for putting them through moments of complete hell. Now I understand it. Thankfully they were safe, but I wanted to really tell them off. Rogan and I have had a talk about how he cannot go visiting without checking with me first so we'll see if that went in. Needless to say, I'll be shutting and locking the gates before having a day time shower again.

No comments:

Post a Comment