About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Inspiration



I've completed my latest doily in my doily art collection and am now working on a new piece. When I say new, I mean totally new. None of the usual vintage patterns this time (for some reason I always want to say "recipe" but that's probably my current obsession with finding the perfect dessert). And the inspiration for this design comes from a brilliant six year old.


You may remember about a month ago I posted that every time I have a cuppa-tea catch up at Greedy for Colour's place I come away inspired to do something. Today was no exception. Surrounded by the most gorgeous tea cups, all made of wool and complete with miniature marshmallows, tea bags and a plate for that tempting piece of cake, young Mr Six came along with a piece of paper desperately wanting to make a "six sided circle" snow flake. Despite the artistic disagreements with head designer "mum", by the time we left Mr Six had made the most gorgeous cut out snowflake. All I could see were tiny little stitches, fine chains and a doily fit for a queen (or in this case a king-in-waiting).


Without delay I had to come right home, finish the current project and get started on my new design. At last, I'd found the inspiration I needed to design my own doily. Over the past few weeks that I've been stitching doilies, my mind has been kept astounded by the intricacies of each one, the work that must have gone into the design, the imagination into the layout, the mathematical brain to get each stitch in the right place. So, currently, I'm armed with a calculator, 20 gauge cotton, a size 1.25mm hook and I'm up to round seven.


However, be warned . . . there's every chance that it'll be a complete disaster and you'll never get to see the finished product. I'm hoping that's not the case, but as I'm hyper critical of my own work there's only a glimmer of hope. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Turkey.Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post aloud to Archie this morning and he was so chuffed, big smile from ear to ear. I just loved seeing in person all of your cobwebs. xxooxxooxx

    ReplyDelete