About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Kill Your Darlings

When I was at university one of the first things I learned was the phrase above and it related to writing (and you thought I was moaning about the children again). Basically it was/is essential to cull sentences or paragraphs in pursuit of the best final draft. The hard part is, those things that required culling were oftentimes what I considered to be my most profound statements or insights. Nevertheless, if they didn't add to the work they were pointless. It appears the same applies to crochet.

Yesterday I wrote about blocking and mentioned a large and intricate piece I was working on. I decided to block some of it to see how it would look in the final outcome. Uh oh. The pattern is amazing; the thread is beautiful: together they completely destroyed the look. What to do? After two weeks of work, hours of concentration I had to kill my darling and unravel the whole thing.

It was too big for my doily art collection, but of a size that would have been perfect as a centre piece for my dining room table. All is not lost, however, I'll make it when I've completed my art pieces and will be much happier with the end result I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment