About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Epiphany


This morning, out of sheer despiration I dragged Rogan and Janae down to the little beach by our house to give all the occupants some time out. They played for about five minutes and then started to misbehave (as children do).

I quickly got the camera out and snapped some photographs. That's when it dawned on me. I see pictures of other people's children and marvel at what a perfect and happy family they are. And yet, after today, I'm certain that some of them are taken under the same circumstances as mine.


I found myself still nagging, still encouraging children to get off my lap and actually play rather than glue themselves to me, to come up with fun things to discover and do. I found myself wondering if ten minutes was long enough to stay down there and just how much longer I could endure. I found myself dreaming of a child free Sunday morning.

We survived 40 minutes and then Janae cried all the way home as I refused to carry her, she screamed when we got home because I left her in the kitchen to put her shoes away, she shouted at me because I was getting the lunch out and hadn't yet got the high chair out. At last it all got the better of me and I dashed off to have a jolly good sob in a private place somewhere.

Needless to say I've had a good two hour sleep, Dad has taken Rogan off to the boat with him to play with a fishing rod for a couple of hours, Kayley's at the neighbours (having just come home to shout at me that she hates everyone because she can't do what she wants) and I'm waiting for the netball test to start so things aren't looking quite so bad this afternoon. Roll on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment