About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Green Fingers


The notion of a whole acre of land to play with has been something that's filled me with joy. Today I finally got the first patch of vegetables in. We've planted two varieties of potato, some capsicum, carrots, spring onions and lettuce.

One of the things I love most about my mother is that, despite being brought up in the heart of London, she knows vege growing. Complaining that I've never had much success with growing carrots she informed me that one must pour kerosene over the dirt once the seeds have been planted. Who knew that one? Alas, I forgot to find the kerosene so I'll head over tomorrow and do it.

Of course, there's always a downside to every gardening experience. Mine was putting my hands into a sack of sheep poo shaped like pellets. Poooo! What a stink. However, I know that this remedy is fail safe. I've even informed Kayley that it's going to be her job to go out into the paddocks, once the sheep have grazed, collect up their poo in a bucket and soak it in water for our roses. She thought I was joking. My mother spent my youth doing this and she had the biggest, most luscious and fragrant roses in the district. Furthermore, she never had aphids or spotty leaves. Told you she was a bit of a whiz in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment