About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hats, Hats and More Hats

I sometimes wonder whether it's my colour tastes that are off or others. I made the pansy hat as a template for my friend who wants a hat for her daughter. She loved it and asked if I'd make hers in browns or greens. Hmmmm. I'm not sure I'd be putting my three year old girl in a brown hat. But with all the love I could muster in each stitch I put this togther.

The most interesting, and most difficult part of the hat was the flower. I trawled through my flower book, I flipped endlessly through a flower book loaned me by Greedy for Colour, I made three versions of sunflowers and finally came across this little gem. I'm not over the moon about it, mostly due to the fact that it's brown but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll like it.

I keep going into Creative Outlet for yarns and keep looking at these fabulous hats the shop are selling on behalf of someone. I checked out the price yesterday and discovered that $50 was too steep for me to buy it so I can deconstruct it to figure out how it's made so I decided to try and figure it out from memory. It's not quite right but we're getting there. (I decided to use the browns for the trial as I'll struggle to use them up on stuff for us.)

I tried to get Kayley to model it for me but she was more interested in her candy cane and Bob the Builder than modelling for her favourite aunty. And, it's too big for her anyway.

So now it's head down while I make a scarf for another friend. I was so shattered after a day of battles with children yesterday that I just didn't have the energy to give it a good go. Let's hope that today is better. We're heading off to the park and beach this morning for a big play and lunch so I'll drag it all along with me and hope for some peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment