About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Summer Storms and Children

I have been praying for a summer storm for some weeks now; partly to reduce my water consumption on the garden and partly to reduce the fierce humidity we live through. I realise that in some parts of the world our humidity is negligible, however, being acclimatised to this climate, it's been pretty horrendous. The storm hit today.

I've also been trying to get into the routine of doing quite a lot of house work on Sundays in preparation for when I have Monday mornings to myself (seven days to go, but who's counting?) and then I won't feel the need to clean in my childless time but to create instead. Unfortunately, it took quite some time to prepare entertainment for the children. Nana dropped off these foam alphabet tiles on Saturday morning and I've seen them made into structures so I vacuumed out the spare side of the garage and got constructing. It took around 45 minutes to get it all put together and Kayley and Rogan were very impressed. Being an ex-building officer I wasn't so impressed with my bracing, however, I warned the occupants that, if they were careful there was no reason it wouldn't stand for the whole day. Alas, two year old sister got involved and nine minutes later there was a pile of tiles on the floor and three children looking for something to do. Hmmmm, well done Aunty.

We did manage to muddle along nicely for most of the day and the children got stuck into the toy box for the first time in months. I've been worrying about how little time they spend rooting around among the toys, but I realised today that hot and sunny weather isn't conducive to indoor toy playing. Alas, with the roast in the oven the power started to go off. We had four power outages over about and hour and I was beginning to panic over dinner. Thankfully the meat was cooked so I sparked up the BBQ and roasted the veges on there. (Don't look at the burnt pieces as they were cleverly cut away prior to serving.) The power turned on just long enough to get the beans (straight from my vege garden) up to the boil before going off again and so I put the pot on the BBQ also. Dinner was on the table at 6pm and was rather delicious regardless of the trauma that went into making it.

And the power was on again by bath time. We have gas hot water and the califonts don't work without electricity to spark the gas alight. I guess, for the most part, we can survive without electricity . . . and who really needs a bath? I could have soaped up the kids and made them run around in the rain if the worst had come to the worst. In fact, only one catastrophe today. Rogan, who was doing his best to amuse himself, was playing spinning tops in the lounge, lost his footing and crashed head first onto the foot stool. I spent half an hour at the table with cold peas pressed against a nice blue egg shape on his forehead. Strange how children don't realise you're not nagging when you keep asking them not to do something until they eventually hurt themselves. Bless him. He's fine really. They're off to Nana's tomorrow morning as I have important birthday shopping to do for Rogan's fourth birthday on Wednesday. Can you believe it? One year and he'll be at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment