About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Vintage Yarns


Remember, many months ago I mentioned that I'd been given a big box of wool and yarns from a family member? Well, I've got the crochet bug back and I've been diving into the box.

Having almost completed the cardigan, with only one and a half rounds of the last sleeve to complete when I ran out of cotton, I had to force myself onto the next project.

This was supposed to be one of my market pieces, however, I love it so much that I'm just going to have to give it to Janae. But, it's this piece that has made me entitle this post "Vintage Yarns".

When I was checked out the pattern and reading the requirements I saw that I'd need two balls of 50gm wool. Hmmm, the balls I had that were appropriate for this garment didn't look even 50gm size. They're not. They're a mere 1 ounce. You'll have to think real hard to work out how small that is but, trust me, they don't go far (I think 50gms is 6oz). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have enough, but I'm sure I will. I've completed the back, both fronts and three quarters of one sleeve and I've used almost five balls. However, I still have four balls left.


The most beautiful part about these wools is that they're just that . . . wool. No acrylic blends; just pure New Zealand wool. I mean, check out the labels . . . with brand names like Aotea and Kaiapoi they couldn't be from anything other than good ole kiwi sheep. It's almost as lovely as the stuff my mother used to spin when I was a child.

So I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll have this garment almost completed and will be able to show you the finished article. However, I've got a full day. Janae is off for her official visit to preschool in the morning ready for her first day on Thursday, I've got the lawnmower (kindly delivered by my father) waiting to mow my hideously overgrown lawn, I've got Nana and the kids' big brothers arriving for a barbecue tomorrow afternoon and I have challenged myself to a peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake style pudding. Added to the pressure on Tuesday I have a friend coming over with her twin boys. She's not seen my house before and I'll be darned if I'm going to show her around it when the bath is full of sand, my ensuite is full of children's clothes and bath toys (they like using my shower, and that's probably because the bath is full of sand), the carpet is covered in Rogan and Kayley's afternoon snack of cornchips and broken biscuits from the bottom of the pack and the patio is covered in stuff (magazines, cups, toys, chairs, tables etc etc). So I've got a lot to be getting on with. Best get to bed in readiness for the enslaught!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck for today - I can't wait to hear all about it but I am sure she will be find happy little girl that she is. We should take a photo with your 1 ounce ball and my 200gram ball together. XXOOXXOOXX

    ReplyDelete