About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

We're Going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo

Actually, we've already been. Last week we headed off on a big adventure to Auckland Zoo. I was pretty excited, if a little daunted about dragging three children (two of whom are preschoolers) on a two hour plus journey for an over night stay in a tiny motel room.

However, while as an adult I don't deem the trip an entire success, the children haven't stopped raving about it since we arrived home.

The trip was a long, hot one and I'm grateful for airconditioned vehicles. We crammed the three children into the back of the vehicle and mum and I took bets on who would be the first to crack under the travelling pressure. I would never have picked Kayley but she was the first to lose the will to live and let us know about it for the duration of the journey. It wouldn't have been so bad had she not lost that will in Waihi . . . a mere 40 minutes from home and only a quarter of the way into the journey. Here we all are stopping in Ngatea for morning tea and a wee stop.

Rogan faired a little better and it wasn't until the boredom of the motorway got to him that he begged every thirty seconds for the trip to be over. Thankfully it wasn't too far from there. Janae, strangely enough, was the hero of the day and didn't moan once, found numerous exciting things to see on the way and was our little travel star.

We got to the zoo (along with half the New Zealand population) and got started. Pridelands was our first stop and the rhinos snorting, sneezing and generally standing about was our first encounter. I was just about to read out all the interesting information for my little darlings to learn something on our walk when Nanny announced "Right, we've seen that one, keep moving." Hmmm, interesting. When she did the same thing at the Lion's enclosure I knew she wasn't going to be one to hang about and contemplate life as a lion, rhino or any other animal; nor was she interested in learning. She was determined to get around the whole zoo in record time.

There were, however, a few places even she couldn't resist stopping and enjoying both the animals and the children's reaction. The sea lions was just one attraction that took us all in. They're huge and they seemed content to swim round and round past the window enthralling Rogan. It didn't matter how many times they came round, or that he knew they were coming again, every time he jumped about shouting "there's one, there's one . . . look Kayley, there's one".  Eventually we had to leave the cool of the underwater viewing and head out into the heat. It was our one true mistake in the whole excersion. The Auckland Zoo is set on a very sheltered hillside in West Auckland and the temperature in there must have been over 30C which meant, by 11am most of the animals had crawled away somewhere cool and secretive to await dinner so we didn't see as many animals as we would have liked. The one animal that did capture all our hearts though were the mere cats. And I couldn't resist taking the children down into the tunnels and domes that allow you to pop your head right into their enclosure and see what they're doing. Of course, it never dawned on me until catching sight of the first tunnel that these were designed for children. So, while the kids raced ahead on their feet and sped up and down ladders, I slowly crawled my way through hot and stuffy underground tunnels trying not to grumble.

We stayed in a lovely motel not too far away with a pool, which served to cool us all considerably, not far from a pretty decent park and close enough to get an early dinner and early beds for our weary travellers. Hmmmm, nothing went quite according to plan. Not one of the children fell asleep before 9pm and all were awake by seven the next morning. I was awoken by Janae grinning at me over the edge of her porta-cot saying "good morning" and hot Rogan pressed as close to me as he could get.

The journey home was much better than the previous day (why does going home always pass quicker than the reverse trip?) and we didn't lose the will to live until about half an hour from our destination. Janae fell out with Nanny and cried for a good while then fell asleep for 10 minutes, Kayley moaned for the last half hour and Rogan snored. Needless to say, all three were tucked up in bed by 6pm that night and didn't stir until gone seven thirty the next morning. I achieved one thing I've longed for since becoming a  mother . . . a sleep in.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious and I just love the expression on Joan's face at Ngatea. I can't wait to hear the kids version. I can't stop smiling now I have read about it - so funny!!!

    ReplyDelete