About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Filet Frustration

It's been so long since I did any cotton thread filet work that this project is very frustrating. I guess I've got used to working with wool and in rounds that are predictable that following a detailed pattern again is causing my patience to fail. I started this last night and I've unravelled it three times already as I look back over five or so rows and see an error. Argh, unravel and start over. We're getting there slowly but I'm not sure it's worth the pressure I'm putting on myself.

People have been asking where I'm getting all my patterns from and I have a confession. I guiltily purchase this magazine every quarter. I say guilty as it costs a ghastly $25. However, I've made about half the patterns in this magazine already and if you factor about $6 per pattern to buy an individual one then it's pretty good value. I have decided that I'll perhaps request a subscription for my birthday this year though. It's stacked full of gorgeous stuff and in every issue there are loads of patterns I have to try.

Here's the shawl I'm attempting now. I've made so many things with cotton thread but it never entered my head to create something wearable. I guess that's what attracted me to it in the first place . . . that and the lovely design. Now all I have to do is concentrate; this means that crocheting while children are awake is not ideal. Ah well, the evenings are starting to get longer so I'll have more time to "work". I also may have to leave it behind on my Auckland trip this week as there'll be too much laughter and fun to concentrate on something this fiddly. Besides, I don't think Mum would appreciate me making something like this when I still haven't finished her table runner. Shhhh. Don't tell her.

No comments:

Post a Comment