About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gardening Delights

DSCF0896

I thing that I’ve got some of my enthusiasm back for gardening and it’s probably got something to do with the lovely box hedging that went in yesterday. This morning I got cracking and mowed the first half of the lawn . . . the house side. I’m almost out of petrol and haven’t got the heart to drag two children down to the garage to fill up the can so the second half will have to wait for tomorrow. However, while they were sleeping I braved the heat and got out to do a few more chores. It never ceases to amaze me how much can be achieved in a childless hour when it would normally take all day.

I got stuck into the weeds on the top of our raised mound garden. I’m ashamed to say that some of the weeds were larger than the plants. No more, however, as they’re thoroughly pulled out and looking very sad as they dry and die in the hot sun. I did notice that, after four years of being carted around the country in pots, my canna lilies have finally started to flower. DSCF0897There’s only one at the moment but it shows so much promise. I can’t help but think they’re telling me I’m home after years of nomading around the world.

I’ve used all my grass clippings to prepare gardens for further planting. I’m a firm believer that all you need for healthy plants is sheep poo (in the form of store bought pellets) and grass clippings. One fertilises and the other keeps the moisture in. Once that job was DSCF0898 done I ferreted through the vege patch looking for ripe produce to put on the table tonight. I couldn’t resist putting up a picture of Kayley’s pumpkin. Her school has an annual competition for the largest pumpkin and supply the children with a plant at the end of each school year. I’m trying to keep our feet on the ground by reminding us all that if Kayley’s pumpkin is this big then the other kids will be too, but there’s a little glimmer of hope in my competitive spirit. It’s difficult to see how big it is in this picture but Kayley and Rogan can sit side by side on it comfortably. DSCF0900 And our crop of cucumbers has been extremely successful also. I’m so glad Kayley is addicted to them or we’d be completely inundated. I also harvested some beans and some tomatoes. Yum dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment