About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Operation Ground Force and Bags of Fun


This morning was a bit like having the luxury of my very own gardener. There was an element of guilt that I should be doing something constructive rather than just watching and an element of glee watching this lovely little hedge go in like a gorgeous green gift.

Way back when we first moved in, the very day in fact, my cousin Peter (fourth cousin, 2000 times removed or something) stepped out the garden which was all bare and awaiting some plants. He arrived back on the patio and said "You'll need 80 Belinda." Hmmm, 80 what? Apparently I would require 80 box hedge plants to do the edge of the entire garden.

Now Peter is something of a deep green thumb and he propogates his own hedging and supplies a number of places. It's his retirement fund . . . as we all know retired dairy farmers are usually skint. All that was required of me was to fill in the gaps once the drive had been done and he'd come around. Well, today was the day. He drove up with dozens of little plants in the back of his vehicle, a sharp spade and a big smile. "Don't you worry Belinda," Peter said, "I'll do it all for you." And he did.

Thankfully this morning was fairly overcast so the heat wasn't too bad. Jill, Peter's wife, arrived around morning tea (thank goodness I'd baked yesterday) and assisted along with my two darlings who took great delight in watering the new garden.

I'm so in love with it that I keep popping around the corner just to check they're all still there and they're all still alive. I can see just what it'll look like in a couple of years when the hedge is thickened up and uniform with some gorgeous and brilliantly coloured hibiscus behind. Now I have to consider whether bark would be a good idea. My one reservation is . . . cockroaches.

So with all the hard work done this morning I've been sweltering out under the umbrella working on my mid-project. Whenever I'm making something of squares I get a little bored with the tedium so I pick something else up for a bit. Yesterday I made a start on this bag. It's much bigger than I thought it would be and I'll have to pop back to the wool shop for another ball of cotton but I'm loving it so far. As the rounds decrease it's getting quicker too. I have to keep pushing aside the thought that I spent over $100 dollars on my leather handbag a couple of years ago (when I was childless and had nothing better to spend money on) and enjoy using this as my everyday bag.

I've never been a handbag girl really. I've always just had one and used it until it fell apart. I will never totally understand the patience and determination it must take to gather all the stuff a woman keeps in a bag and transfer it lovingly to another bag two or three times a week. Seems like a pointless waste of time to me . . . but we'll give it a go and see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment