About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Things Kids Do When You're Not Looking

Yesterday I was tearing my hair out. I've had numerous sleepless nights lately due to events like bed wetting, bad dreams, and caving and letting a child share my bed. But, amidst my fatigue and grumpiness I noticed a void of noise and activity from the youngest of my family.

Realising that silence and Janae are like oil and water . . . most often separated unless well shaken . . . I went in search of naughtiness. I didn't have far to look.

She'd got into the bathroom cabinet. Now, I've been expecting this since the day we moved in so there is nothing harmful in there but it didn't stop mess. She'd donned a lovely green shower cap, uncorked a vintage shampoo and was having a great time. I mean, just look at that grin.

It appears that naughtiness was in her blood yesterday. After three months she has discovered that she can reach the light switch from the foot end of her cot if she stands on tip toes and leans out as far as she can. I wandered down a darkened hall at about 8.30 last night and saw a light coming from under her door and could hear giggles as she chatted with her teddy and dolls. Needless to say the cot was moved a safe distance away with stern words which were all greeted with a big grin and a giggle. Hmm children. They're sent to try us.

Today, however, has been a polar opposite bliss. After chatting with Kayley's teacher last night, following thermal meltdown by Kayley we agreed that Kayley should be kept at home today, kept quiet and made to have an afternoon nap. Great, it's raining and now I have three kids instead of just two. But, Nanny came to the rescue. She swept Janae and Rogan off for the day leaving Kayley and I at home to make the preparations for the tomato chutney and for Kayley to have two hours sleep this afternoon. She's like a new child and we hope that tomorrow we'll have a much better day at school. The best thing about having three kids at home on a wet day is that my housework is bang up to date. If I'm scrubbing, mopping, wiping, vacuuming they stay well away in case I give them a job. It was brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment