About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Digging Deep

It's been quite some time since I've experienced a true "Dig Deep Day" but today I came pretty close. Its probably got something to do with troubled sleep over the past few nights, the fact that I've not managed to have a peaceful non-child time since Janae started preschool, I haven't had a sleep-in in about six months and that I haven't been able to finish a project in ages.

So I had to really pull out all the stops not to be a shouty, grumpy aunty mum today. The little ones begged me to take photographs of them in their beach chairs (the ones they snuck into my wardrobe to recover after I'd confiscated them a week ago) and that started off the better relations between the three of us. I managed to get sheets changed, the oven cleaned, the fridge cleaned and then shunted them both outdoors while I tried to find the enthusiasm to finish the socks I'm making for my mother's birthday.

They're not entirely identical but I'm really pleased with the outcome. They're really cosy but not tight at all. With my mother being diabetic she needs to have warm feet at night while ensuring her laboured ciruclation stays functional. I think these will do the trick. She's also off on a South Island adventure in a couple of weeks and we're expecting the nights down there to be a bit cooler than here so they'll hopefully be welcome.

I also learned some really cool new stitches. The linked double crochet was one that I thoroughly enjoyed. The finished effect is more like a knitted garment than the standard double crochet.

I also learned how to do a foundation single crochet which is much like doing a chain of single crochets. Very useful for making a decent base in which to stitch.

Needless to say finishing the socks was a real boost and now I'm back to the doll. All I have left to do is her skirt, belt, hat and ringlets. I'm really really enjoying the knitting experience and even purchased a pattern on the weekend. I'm going to make Kayley a cardigan for the autumn/early winter. It has to be purple and I've got to make sure I don't get fed up half way through which is what usually happens to my knitting. However, now I've finally mastered the art of tension and have learned heaps of new stitches and tricks I'm really looking foward to it. When I was in the wool shop trying to find a pattern I read this and thought, easy, I can make this. But I have to be disciplined and make sure that I finish one project before starting the next. Hopefully I can show you our doll in the next few days.

4 comments:

  1. wow you had a busy day today! those socks look lovely and warm :) i know what you mean about finishing one project before starting another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just amazing - those socks look so warm and cosy and made with love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I will post again because I had to test whether it would work or not. I can finally post comments again. Sleep is the key to everything isn't it... Looking forward to a catch up, XXOOXXOOXX.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've missed your comments. Yep, sleep this afternoon. I've made it through a vigorous Mainly Music session and only lunch to get through before some peaceful slumber . . . hopefully

    ReplyDelete