About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Dolly Is Born

I felt like fairies would be having a party as I sewed the last of the flowers on my doll. It's like a new pretend life has been conceived. She was just so much fun to make that I'm going to have to make more.

The children were away for a couple of hours at the school gala tonight so I managed to finish off most of her hat and then, once they were in bed I completed the flowers and leaves and stitched them on.



Now that I've knitted flowers I've got a book that I've loaned from a friend and it's calling my name to try out some of the flowers in there. I'm so amazed that I enjoyed these fiddly little bits but the overall effect is brilliant.

She's not as professional as the picture in the book, but it's my first attempt at a knitted toy so I'm not even going to complain.

And, if you think she's lovely enough to give away then please send in your names for her along with a story about your favourite doll from childhood (or adulthood).

My favourite doll as a child was called Susan. She had lovely long blonde hair that must have been real as it was beautiful to brush and tie up and I used to do just that for hours. My mother, who's a dab hand with a sewing machine used to make lots of clothes for her. I loved her.

I must have grown out of her for a bit as I discovered her at the bottom of my wardobe when I was about ten and her face was a mottled purple . . . the after effects of having been laid on top of a pile of carbon paper (this was probably left over from my typing phase). But mum scrubbed her up and she was like new. Around this time I got into my hair dressing phase and chopped all her hair off into, what I believed was a stylish bob. Sadly Susan was never quite the same again. I still loved her though.

There's something special about our girlhood doll. So let's hope we can come up with a fabulous name for this one.

1 comment:

  1. I had one of those dolls where you turned part of their head and the hair changed color. I looked it up - the Tiffany Taylor doll. But my parents couldn't find the white doll, so I got the black doll. I loved her and made clothes for her. I don't remember her name I also cut her hair, but it wasn't too short. Your doll is very cute! I don't want to be put into the contest, as I don't have children or collect dolls, but wanted to comment. I enjoy reading your site and congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete