About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Fabulous Surprise

Last night mum called and asked if I fancied going to the movies. Who was she kidding . . . the last movie I saw was The Secret Life of Bees about a year ago. She'd already organised a baby sitter and we were set to go.

And what a movie it was. We watched Mao's Last Dancer which was, by far, one of the best films I've seen in a very long time. What an inspiring story. I've read and studied a bit about China and it's communist history but hearing a story of how people live under the regime was eye opening. It was also one of those stories that makes you sit back and take a look at your own life. I'm so lucky to live in a beautiful country with the freedoms afforded to us that some in the world can only imagine. I remembered that hard work and perseverence are good attributes and that you'll get there in the end. And I was reminded of the preciousness of children and no matter how much they irritate us and break our hearts some days we've got to nurture each glimer of talent, treasure each of their dreams, and enjoy each of their achievments.

Go see this film, and read the book. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment