About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hair Cuts, Clothes and Girlie Things


So often I write about the children or my latest craft project or something like that: today I'm going to write about me.

Yesterday, recovering from horrid tonsils etc I took myself off to my lovely friend Doreen who proceded to transform my gastly hair and, it seems, my outlook on life. I haven't had my hair done since before Christmas and it really was starting to show. Added to this I had been feeling awful and it was nicer to be in ugly clothes that, while feel cosy and delicious, look atrocious.

Today I'm a new woman and I've been out and added to my wardrobe in a bid to keep that attitude going. Way out of my colour and style comfort zone I've bought this gorgeous black and purple top and a gorgeous necklace to go with it.

My friends are all accessory queens and they always look fabulous. It never ceases to amaze me what a pair of dangly earings and a nice necklace does to an outfit. I, on the other hand, never seem to have the time (or inclination) to throw on accessories and as a consequence don't really have many. So I went straight to the accessory counter once I'd chosen my top and found the perfect thing.

It's difficult to see in this photograph but the purples are the perfect match and it's not too way out there. While I love looking at truly funky jewellery on those I love, it's just not for me I'm afraid.

And to top off my purple purchase day I got these fabulous silk tulips at the supermarket. I've been mulling over an idea for a painting on my wall leading to my ensuite bathroom and I'd seen these flowers as I left the supermarket before. Today I couldn't resist them. Now I have no excuse not to get stuck into some painting and, with a little luck and a lot of concentration, I should be able to produce something I'll be glad to hang my on wall. Be sure, if I like it I'll post it here.

As you can tell, it's been a bit of a "me" day today. So often I'll go and get the children new clothes or shoes; I'll concentrate on making sure they're well dressed, warm and have all the things they need and forget about me. It's time to tart myself up every morning (and I mean every morning) and take time out each day to make sure I feel good about how I look instead of looking like a tired, grouchy and slouchy old mum all the time. Here's hoping the attitude sticks and I'm still in this mode in a few weeks time. I have to motivation of knowing that I see Doreen almost every day and if I haven't straightened, or at least blow dried my hair, she'll be telling me off for sure!

5 comments:

  1. good on you! isn't it lovely having some time to focus on yourself. I look a wreck at the mo but hair appt next week tho yay! hope you are feeling better now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan, am feeling a whole lot better now. Now can get back to work on the cardigan (even after three false starts). Note to self: don't try tricky patterns when children will interrupt you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will look amazing, I am back from the big trip this weekend and can't wait to catch up. Love Kate xxooxxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing you. Feels like years since we had a cup of tea together.

    ReplyDelete