About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day

It's Mothers Day today and as I look at my beautiful new plant I find I can't even remember last Mothers Day. I'm thinking this is probably because I was still in a state of shock about being a mother to three children.

This year we've had a lovely time . . . so far. As I had to speak at church this morning on my unique motherhood stories I was determined not to be the grouchy, stressed out mother I usually am on a singing Sunday so this morning we put on our High Five DVD and boggied down to some funky tunes until breakfast time. I'd gotten up early and showered, done my hair and makeup and dressed so that I had plenty of time to get the kids ready.

There was the usual kerfuffle getting the children in the car but we got there in one piece and they played beautifully while we practiced our songs for the day.  And the best part was that my mother came along too. It was very nerve wracking speaking with my mother present. I've done public speaking quite a lot through university and things like that, but never with my own mother present. Thankfully I couldn't really see her from where I was standing so that helped.

Afterwards she enjoyed a cup of tea and a piece of very rich chocolate cake with everyone. It was quite funny really as she saw women she used to play golf with and sat there proudly saying "Yes, Belinda's my daughter." I think we always know how proud of us our parents are but don't often experience the full force of it; today I did and it's made me feel very loved.

We met mum back here at home and she brought with her this gorgeous plant and a card she'd filled out from the children. I hadn't expected anything and had just asked the children for good attitudes and a quiet day without me having to put on my grouchy voice. So far, so good. Kayley's helped me make an Oaty Caramel slice for my ladies luncheon tomorrow. Rogan, despite being filled up with a cold, has behaved pretty well and presented me with a lovely card he'd made at Sunday School. Janae got out of her beautiful Sunday dress and into some comfy old clothes, clambered into bed and went to sleep like a little angel.

I know that tomorrow is another day and we'll all be back to our normal selves, but I'm sure I'll remember this Mothers Day next year. I couldn't be happier being a mum and look forward to many more celebrations of our little family.

1 comment: