About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Painting Up a Storm


I got my wish to get some painting done last night. In fact, the whole non-child experience was lovely really. I got all the house work done (I'm so pleased with it I'm loath to let the kids back in the bath now), I did a whole lot of baking and I painted. And the upshot is that while I write this the three of them are jumping all over each other on the floor next to me, the noise is ear splitting and I've got a renewed sense of patience and can, for tonight, let it slide right over me.

So here are Catarina's birthday paintings. I was going to do three individual ones with the butterfly as the main theme but the flowers and symmetry were so good that I just recreated them in slightly different positions.

I did have a minor panic though. I have given up some of my craft drawers for the childrens' toys when we set up the play room and had forgotten that I'd dumped a whole lot of stuff in a big basket at the bottom of my wardrobe. As I sifted through I could only find two butterflies. Thankfully I took a deep breath and stopped having a "man" look and found the missing insect.

Then I dragged out the Cuttlebug and sorted through the dies Andrea had kindly loaned me. I had thought to use one that had a lovely little flower and accompanying bee but it was all a bit too busy for this project.

The finish in these photographs isn't great as the ModPodge hadn't quite dried but I wanted to get them photographed before hiding them away from my soon returning children. I've checked them today and they look fantastic. I'm very pleased with these and hope that Anna is too. I mean, lets face it, gifts for two year olds are more about their mothers than the child in question really.

And finally here is the one I've been working on for my bedroom. I'm not sure if I like it or not, and I think I'll need another couple of coats of black/purple for the bottom half.

I'm also not sure if the flowers are way to big for this canvas but overall I still like the concept. Perhaps I'll have to get a larger canvas and try again. The beauty of doing something like this is that the canvasses are relatively cheap so if you hate the result, or you like it but grow tired of it on the wall, it's not a huge expense down the tubes.

Now I'm working on a crochet afghan. RedHeart.Com has a free ebook on afghans and I picked one of those. The one decent sized blanket I made last winter has been such a hit that more are definately called for. It gets dragged out of the linen cupboard often to snuggle under on the sofa of a cool autumn morning or evening. It's often used as a cover for a game or a tent. I'm slowly realising, one can never have enough afghans.

2 comments: