About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Some days you just feel appreciated

DSCF1097 Last week it was a big box of goodies from Australia; this week the gifts were from closer to home.

Nana has been working hard on mosaic bedside tables for the children since we moved in here. With the bad weather of late she has managed to get them finished. And they’re gorgeous.

This is Rogan’s table and the nautical star matches his blinds perfectly.

DSCF1098

The girls’ tables are the same design but different colours. Nana told them that one heart is theirs and the other is hers. That’s a lovely thought.

Each table has been given a resin finish on top which will protect the tiles from being dug out, drawn on or chipped. Let’s face it, children aren’t known for their gentleness even with their most precious possessions.

DSCF1099

Janae’s table is now in the perfect position for her to climb in and out of bed. I’ve been trying to teach her how to get out of her cot so that she can go and join the children in the mornings rather than shouting for me. That’s failed so far and I thought the table might help. I leave the side of the cot down but each morning when I go in she’s diligently pulled it up and can’t get it down again. Ah well, by Christmas she’ll be in a bed and that’ll be the end of that.

DSCF1100

And last night we were delivered this beautiful shepherds pie. A lovely lady from our church who is always asking how she can help our little family found out I’d been ill all last week and turned up with this for our dinner last night. She was upset that I’d not told her I’d had the flu. I have to laugh as I’m not the best at asking for help anyway, but there’s no way I’d ever ring someone and say . . . quick, make something for our dinner cos I’m sick. Maybe I should start.

And the best surprise of all this week came from my mum. I’d just emailed my birth mother telling her I was disappointed that I wouldn’t get to see her new house in Brisbane for a very long time as I couldn’t see when I’d get the chance to go over again. The next day my mother asked if I thought I could tear myself away from the kids for a couple of weeks in October for a trip to the Sunshine Coast. What a silly question. Of course, I won’t be tearing myself away from them all as I have suggested we take Kayley with us. She’s just about the right age to be a pleasant travelling companion. Shhhhhh, she knows nothing of this and I’m going to try to keep it quiet until the day we leave. There’s still five months to go and I have to organise her passport and stuff so “mums” the word until much closer to the time.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting - everything!!! I can't wait to see the tables - your Mum has done an amazing job and fantastic to think about a secret trip to Australia - you utterly deserve it. I might hop into your suitcase. Love Kate xxooxxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 無一事而不學,無一時而不學,無一處而不學。.............................................

    ReplyDelete