About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hmmm An Issue With Sizing

DSCF1137

Yesterday I mentioned I’m having a little pain in my left thumb, probably due to over crochet use (or a slip in the shower the other day that’s still too embarrassing to mention) so I decided that I’d make a start on a hat that Kayley had requested.

I have this dayglo orange wool left over from Rogan’s blanket and she wants a hat out of it. I cast on what I thought would be enough stitches, and got going. I don’t have a pattern but I’ve done enough increasing and decreasing to feel confident of making it work.

Make it work I did, but it’s come out the perfect size for an infant as opposed to a seven year old girl with a larger than average head.

DSCF1138

Here’s the hat next to Janae’s latest favourite. Now the purple one is slightly too large for Janae and winter hats are best if they’re snug, but as you can see, there’s just no way this orange hat will go near Kayley. Oh dear, I’m so disappointed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m so pleased that I’ve managed to knit a hat without a pattern and have it coming out looking good but now what to do with it? We have Mainly Music tomorrow and there are a few new little babies who’s mothers might not object to dressing their children in a dayglo hat. Or, option two, drop it off at the Church Op Shop and see if they can make fifty cents from it.

So it’s back to the drawing board I’m afraid. I’ll have to try again tomorrow and use larger needles and more stitches. Hehehehe, I’ll probably end up with a hat that’s too big even for my dad who, as it happens, has a larger than average head as well.

Now I’m off to do a little baking. Last week at Mainly Music I indulged in a piece of coconut slice and remembered that it’s a Kiwi classic and have been searching for the recipe since. I’ve stumbled across this fabulous website dedicated to kiwi baking. I have just enough butter left over from Sunday’s baking marathon so I’m going to whip up a slice now ready for the lunch boxes tomorrow morning . . . and maybe a sneak piece with a cup of tea for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment