About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Even More Hats

Here's the hat I was describing in my last post. And, I'm pleased to say, I'm over cables for now. It was a project that held my interest right to the end due to the concentration level required. Not only were there the cables but there were also ribs where you had to knit and purl into the back of some stitches and not others.

You will have to forgive my bleary eyed little girl. She's really ready for the school holidays and is at the point where she's waking at about 5.30 every morning and getting into mischief . . . ie. I've had to clean up the kitchen after her breakfast experimentations every morning.

This model is a little chirpier, thankfully. It was interesting with this particular hat that the patterns are designed for adults, so I made the smallest size in the hope that it would be okay for the children. Strangely it's a little too small for Kayley. It fits Rogan okay, but, as with all the hats in this house, it has been claimed by Janae and seems to fit her perfectly. Once I've finished Rogan's cardigan (another project I've started because I still haven't washed the wool for the first one) I might make one of the other hats and make it in the largest size just for Kayley.


And the other exciting development around here this week is the eagerly anticipated garden shed. I'm fortunate enough to have a  lovely double garage attached to my house but my father is of the opinion that a garden shed would be useful because I can lock away all those gardening things the children really shouldn't be around. We've acquired a 3 metre by 2 metre shed and we're in the throes of laying the foundations. While Dad's been busy leveling off crusher dust and putting up the boxing for the floor, Mum and I have been uncovering 20 year old bricks and loading them onto a pallet to be laid on the floor. It's not too bad work in these lovely cool days and the best bit . . . the muscles in the backs of my legs are aching so, while I'm not really into physical labour, perhaps I should do more of it.

Now I'm off to bed knowing that I'm going to be able to lay in bed late tomorrow. Rogan's off at a sleep over, Janae and Kayley are at Nanny and Grandads and I'm all alone. It took a couple of hours but I've started feeling like a human being again, rather than a growly, grumpy old trollop. And I can't even imagine what it's going to be like waking up without hearing lights being turned on before six in the morning, fights over which channel the children want to watch before six thirty and Janae shouting to get out of bed before seven. (On that note, I leave her the side of her cot down every night knowing she's capable of getting out all by herself . . . as she does when she's put there during a tantrum . . . and yet she won't get out of bed in the morning until I come in to her. It's quite frustrating really and I'm sure it won't be that way when she graduates to a bed.)

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your sleep in. A good way to gather up strength for the school holidays... I am loving your cables - I have to learn. Lots of love, Kate xxooxxooxx.

    ReplyDelete