About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Playing with Wool

DSCF1169

I had to be up and about early this morning as it’s rubbish collection day and the Sky TV guy was coming to put in a new aerial point so we can turn our lounge furniture around to benefit from the lovely fire. So, I’ve had lots of time to do things I keep putting off. One of these things was to wash the wool I’ve had awaiting knitting. It’s so much fun pulling apart old garments knowing they’re going to make something new and exciting.DSCF1170

I think I’ve got enough wool here to make something for Kayley next and last night I discovered another stash of ‘virgin’ four ply that I can knit into a jumper for Janae.

As you can clearly see, knitting is the flavour of the month right now. I’m currently half way through the back of Rogan’s cardigan and am eagerly anticipating getting to the interesting bits of decreasing for the sleeves. I must say, making children’s garments is great as they come together so quickly. But I am thinking it might be about time to make something for myself.

DSCF1171

I say this but yesterday I had a long browse around the Tauranga Library and discovered some books I had to take out (photographs tomorrow). There are two Sampler Afghans I really want to make. The first is made with beading, cables, bobbles and lots of lovely girly colours so I’m eager to try that out. I have a feeling I may be re-issuing that book for some weeks yet. I also got a book of patterns where there’s one pattern for each decade over the last 100 years. A beautiful bolster cushion has taken my fancy but it’s knitted with three strands of cotton and, apart from the expense, I’m concerned it may be outside my level of expertise just yet.

Well, I’d better go and rescue my skeins from the clothes line before the afternoon damp starts to settle. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have a chance to try winding them into proper balls (as shown in Debbie Stoller’s knitting guide book, also got from the library yesterday). I’ll let you know how that goes.

2 comments: