About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, August 6, 2010

What a Week

I’ve been very remiss in blogging lately due mostly to winter ills that just won’t go away. I’ve been counting the days in anticipation of feeling better and instead have only continued to feel worse.

It’s funny today, now that I’m drugged up and finally on the mend, but the last two days have seen a deterioration of mind, body and spirit until I’d got myself into such a state yesterday morning I burst into tears when I spotted that Kayley had ridden her bike, with very muddy wheels, over my favourite boots. I had to run off and have a sob when my mothers window cleaners extolled my virtues as a human being for taking on three beautiful children. And the straw that broke the camels back was when I arrived at preschool to collect Janae and I was confronted about nasty little mites in Rogan’s hair. I didn’t succumb to tears at the time but I did that pathetic little hic hic, sob thing we women do when we’re overwhelmed, all the way home.

There was nothing for it. My mother dragged me off to the doctors where he too put up with my tears (pathetic I know), diagnosed me with a respiratory infection, chronic asthma, and generally being run down. So I came home armed with tonics and a pair of hair clippers and propped Rogan up on a stool in the kitchen.

DSCF1191   Because he has such marked asymmetry of his head I was so worried he’d look awful. I’m pleased to say, he actually just looked cuter than before because now it’s easy to see his very cheeky smile and sparkling eyes.

Considering Rogan hates even having a trim he was very brave and put up with a full head shave with stoicism that even the Brits would be proud of. And, it gave me a chance to pick up a crochet hook for the first time in ages, as I couldn’t bear the thought of his poor little head being cold.

DSCF1192

And last night I whipped up this little hat for him. Having only done knitting for a number of weeks, it was easy to forget how quick crochet is. There was only one downside to this hat . . . Janae was completely miffed that it wasn’t made for her. But we found her little blue one and she eventually agreed that Rogan could keep his.

Now I’m almost 24 hours into a round of antibiotics and several doses of asthma inhalers, as well as the best sleep I’ve had in weeks this afternoon so I’m feeling a little more like my usual self. I’m almost able to believe I’ll be able to pull off the solo I have to do on Sunday morning. Keep your fingers crossed about that! And it’s only about ten days until my three day holiday in Thames. Woo Hoo. Things are starting to look up.

2 comments: