About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Green Fingers versus Automobiles

I've always been quite proud of the fact that I have  had little difficulty growing house plants . . . until the past year that is. All the plants in my home have withered, some have died and the ones that haven't have been having a hard time of it.

I had assumed that it was because of New Zealand's new and improved building standards for homes ensuring we stay warm and dry that the atmosphere might be a little drier and harsher than anywhere I've lived previously. Today I discovered that perhaps it's not the atmospheric conditions but the social conditions that are a little harsh.

I discovered this little car buried deep within the tender roots of a seedling I've been attempting to cultivate. Hmmmm, me thinks that indoor plants may have to take a bit of a back seat while my children grow. Thankfully we have a lovely big garden that's starting to look more like a summer haven than a winter wasteland to make up for the lack of green indoors.

On the health front, I'm on the constant look out for spots. We're having a bit of a chicken pox epidemic lately and, while I don't relish the thought of hot and spotty children around the house I'd prefer it all to come sooner rather than later. Last night poor little Janae woke screaming at 9.30. As my best sleeper this was cause for concern, but her near 40 degree temperature was even more alarming, coupled with a little red rash around her neck. Today she has one spot: could this be the start of the pox? Rogan and Kayley are also sporting one spot each. I think to say the illness has arrived in our home might be a little bit drastic at this stage, it will make for interesting viewing over the next couple of days.

And big education changes are afoot. I've finally conceded defeat in that private preschools might be a little out of my budget (perhaps more than just a little) so in the next month Rogan will be off to kindy, closely followed by Janae once she turns three at the beginning of December. Rogan's actually quite excited to know that he'll have somewhere to go every day for the whole day with kids his own age. Janae doesn't care as long as she can draw and cut play dough to her hearts content. So it's almost the end of an era and the start of something new. And it makes me smile to know that I may not have to save for quite so long for balls of yarn once the changes are in place. I think this is what's called a "win-win" situation. Oh, and mental note, treat my mother to a coffee and muffin for a change!

3 comments:

  1. It is hell waiting for those pox spots to appear or not - Hugo is now showing no signs whatsover - his dot turned out to be a pimpley thing that was gone by Sat. night. the waiting is driving me insane - he may not get it but I am just so keen for it to be over and done with. Archie is off to school tomorrow again thank goodness. Good luck with kindy - I can't wait to find out how it all goes. Love Kate xxooxxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Out damn'd spot! Out I say!" Wish you luck with the spotties....and I have no children and still can't grow house plants...hope kindy goes well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a little boy who likes to plant Hot Wheels in all manner of crazy places around the house here, too ...

    ReplyDelete