About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mum’s Home

My mother has been away in Australia for two weeks and returned last night. I volunteered to do the midnight pickup and collected my cousin Tom from the airport at the same time. As always, Mum came home loaded down with gifts. Here’s the one she’s given me today . . .

DSCF1328

I have wanted this cook book ever since watching Julie Goodwin win the first Aussie Masterchef. This afternoon I’ve been flicking through the pages, smiling at the titles to some of the dishes, mouth watering at others and being completely inspired. You see I’ve finally been confessing a long time dream . . . to be a pastry chef. And I’m starting to believe that I could just about achieve it.

DSCF1327

So this afternoon I came home and whipped up my first pavlova. I’ve never made one because I always thought they were too difficult and because my mother is the queen of pavlova making. I’m quite happy with it as my first effort and now it’s decorated with some cream, fresh strawberries and drizzled with chocolate. The truly crazy thing is I don’t actually like pav but as Tom’s here and we’re having a roast beef for dinner I thought I’d give it a go. I’ll let you know what everyone thought of it.

And the cardigan is still trudging along. I’m on the final piece of the jigsaw which is the hood. I’m half way through that, then I’ll attach it, pick up the ribbing stitches and that’ll be it complete. I can’t wait.

1 comment:

  1. If you ever have a need to make another pav I will eat it for you... YUM. Can't wait to have a look at the cookbook. I loved that round of masterchef so much. Love Kate xxooxxooxx.

    ReplyDelete