About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

No Time for Pictures

Whew . . . what a day it's been . . . busy but very good. We sang this morning and that went rather well, even if I do say so myself. Then this afternoon I really felt for Fergus and Carolyn (the "vicar and his wife") as they had a movie date planned but what to do with little Emily. I put my hand up because I know how lucky I am to have child free time and wanted them to have that too. Then I agreed that Rogan's friend Ben could come over for the afternoon as well. With Ben came his little sister Catarina. Then Kayley came home.

The strange thing is, I didn't really realise how many children were swarming over my home until I got the afternoon tea sorted and out came six plates. Yes! Six! But, strangely enough, it wasn't any more difficult than a Sunday afternoon with three children. I even got about a dozen rows of knitting done and few if any mistakes. The house does look a little battered, but that doesn't bother me tonight. And everyone sort of mucked in.

Emily wasn't very happy about missing out on her mummy and daddy's date so she spent some time at the top of the slide telling me to go away and having a little cry. But, with the enducement of a fun spiky ball, Kayley's undivided attention and a gentle rub down with sunblock she was soon into the swing of things and had big smiles by the time her parents arrived to pick her up.

Janae managed to make Catarina cry by dousing her with cold water in the bath, but a quick change of clothes, a wee cuddle and they were back on track. Kayley, once again assisted with the boys and got them sitting down drawing pirate ships for ages. It all just went quite smoothly.

So, tonight as I sit here, a little exhausted, I'm giving myself a wee pat on the back. We survived and had fun. What could be better than that?

Oh, a funny aside . . . when my mum arrived to drop Kayley home she looked about horrified at the children swarming like giant bees and jumped straight back in her car and ran for the hills. I must remember that when I'm wanting my mum to head home without giving me a list of jobs to do, I'll have to recruit all my friend's children!

No comments:

Post a Comment