About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Wonderful, Wet, Summer Morning

cookies

In the middle of winter I always long for weeks and weeks of sunshine that I know come with summer. The reality of weeks and weeks of sunshine is that I end up longing for rain. And today it arrived. Nice, wet, nourishing rain.

Janae and I had no option but to get the recipe books out and do some baking. Today I decided that I was going to make some things that I’d never made before as I’m completely over the usual family favourites. So above is a picture of our peanut brittle cookies. These were fun as I got to roast peanuts, make toffee to pour all over them and the best bit is the kids don’t like them so I get to share them with the Mainly Music mums tomorrow.

I also got my mother’s enthusiasm going when I phoned and asked for her recipe for good old fashioned sultana cake. This was a cake I didn’t much care for as a child, but as an adult it’s delicious. And the best part is that it’s all in archaic measurements. It had me completely bamboozled for a while. I can cope with ounces and pounds usually but this was strange. The recipe called for three quarters of a pound of sugar and half a pound of flour etc. Why it couldn’t just say 12 ounces and so on. We got there in the end and it’s come out looking like something from the Women’s Institute bake-off.

The final piece of baking was totally child oriented and they are ring shaped, chocolate flavoured cookies covered in chocolate icing and sprinkles. The look on Kayley and Rogan’s faces when I presented them with the cookies for afternoon tea made the whole fiddly process worthwhile. In fact, I think they’re going to form an essential part of our birthday party fare from now on. I just have to invest in a smaller doughnut cutter.

76835_471138766064_642431064_5975077_7174131_n

And while all this baking was going on little Janae was a princess. Well . . . maybe not a princess but queen of play dough certainly. It took almost as long to clean this mess up as it did to make it. But I didn’t have the heart to disturb her fun as she was, on the whole, being so well behaved and patient with me as I concentrated on measurements rather than her. Well done Janae!

No comments:

Post a Comment