About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cushion Creativity


I've been so inspired while reading Crochet With Raymond blog and all the beautiful crochet cushions and blankets Alice has in her photographs that this morning, as I had the house work done quickly, I thought I'd start a cushion. This is not what I made today but one of the first things I ever crocheted when I first started a couple of years ago. Note the terrible sewing together and dodgy appliqué. Wow, how things have moved along since then.

But, it's been so long since I've crocheted a granny square I'd quite forgotten how to do it. I had to start twice, I'm ashamed to admit. But we're well under way now.

I have been making flowers with this gorgeous fushia yarn (I won't call it wool as it's 100% acrylic) and when I was sorting through my wool basket this morning I couldn't resist it. I'm almost at the end of the ball so I'm thinking a quick trip to Spotlight for a couple more might be in order this week. They're so cheap at $3.50 for 100 grams that I can easily justify the spend.

As I have lots of cushions with removable covers I'm quite restrained on how big or, in this case, how small the cushion can be so it feels like I'm grannying forever but that's okay. It's not taxing on the brain which is a blessing after a long weekend with all the kids (and their friends) at home.

And yesterday I made Polly Precious her bonnet. This particular "baby" isn't our Polly but Polly has loaned her hat as this baby didn't have any clothes and Janae felt that she needed some. I can see that I'll be whipping up some pants and tops before long so all her babies can be well dressed this winter.

Well, the long weekend is finally at an end and I sent two children out in the cold to catch the bus this morning. (The fact that they came back 20 minutes later because they'd missed the bus is a fact I need to gloss over for sanity sake.) I've got a tidy home, Granddad is home and is coming over for dinner so he can take some of the pressure off the incessant chatter that goes with pre-bedtime and I'm feeling more like my usual, bubbly self rather than a psychotic mother on the brink of murder, as I did last night. I love week days.

No comments:

Post a Comment