About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Making Progress

Most of my morning has been taken up helping my father put together Kayley's new netball hoop. It's a good thing we're both quite savvy when it comes to construction as the poles were mis-labelled, the instructions were mis-spelled and there could have been all sorts of dramas. However, we got on well and the hoop is now up waiting for the "schoolies" to return home. I have a feeling one 8 year-old girl will be spending much of the winter out on the drive with her new ball and hoop pretending she's Irene van Dyk.

So, to take away the stress of construction Janae and I took up residence at the table and got creative. Granted, most of Janae's creativity is minute bits of paper on the floor, but it was creative nonetheless. (That's why the vacuum cleaner currently lives in the corner of the room.)


I carried on working on my tea cosy. I feel awful that yesterday I showed a picture of it but failed to put the link to the pattern. You can see the original pattern here. I'm loving making this as it's straight forward and stress free (if a tiny bit dull). The result, however, is fabulous. You will note that I've strayed from the original pattern in that I'm doing stocking stitch instead of garter stitch. I'm not a great fan of garter stitch . . . maybe it's a bit of that snobbery coming back.

It wasn't until I turned the piece over last night that I had a vivid memory of my Aunty Min. She is my mother's oldest sister and she came from England for a visit one summer when I was about 12. She spent her time making tea cosies and this turns out to be the same pattern she used. I feel I might have to make her one and post it over so she can enjoy the memories too.

But in true Belinda style, I have been working on the next pattern adjustment in my head while knitting. I think I might make myself one and make it checked. I find it very ironic that since declaring my strange dislike of stripes, everything I've made so far has been striped. My eye does strange things with stripes, in that it tries to introduce patterns or structures that aren't there. In this case my mind is trying to see blocks of two colours instead. So, once this is complete I might just make up one in two tones but do squares so it comes out like a checker board. I will also have to knit the yarn across the back looser so you get the full effect. I'm not very good at making the same pattern more than once so I hope the enthusiasm is sill there once I've completed this cosy.

1 comment:

  1. You have to get me onto to tea cosies Belinda - I can't wait although I have to admit that I am still on the obsessed side with socks. Cup of tea soon? Love Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete