About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Perfect Winter Day

I've had the most amazing day. It's been absolutely freezing so I climbed into a comfortable chair near the fire, got my knitting, my cup of tea and my peace and quiet and made one whole sock.

I have adapted the pattern a bit from an adult sock to a child's sock. This was supposed to be for Kayley, aged 8 but I think I over adjusted and it's the perfect fit for Janae aged 3.

I also need to use smaller needles for the ribbing as it's just not tight enough to be effective, but they've come out great for my first attempt.

I was a little horrified at the price of this single ball of wool. I am pleased, however, to note that one small sock has barely made a dent in it. And, I will have to go back to get another ball for boy appropriate socks. They have some gorgeous wools and I would love to have got one of every kind. Thankfully I have just a little more self control than that.

On a very exciting note, my lovely friend Carolyn and I are hatching a plot to make our own ottomans (or should that be ottomen?). She's priced up materials and, while it's a bit more expensive than we'd first anticipated, it's still way cheaper than buying one. And I can't help thinking that every time someone sits on it or puts their feet up on it I'll secretly smile to myself thinking I made that. See, that's the beauty of craft . . . the anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment