About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Look what I've made Part II

I sat knitting a tiny teddy with my feet up and a hot cup of tea last night. It was absolute bliss. I can't quite believe that I've made this. Well, I say "I've" made this but I had LOTS of help from my lovely building buddy.

The children are completely in love with it as it's just the right height to sit on the floor and colour in on it. Janae's been sitting on it all morning with various toys. I have to laugh though as my first prediction came true. I said to Building Buddy that there'd be a child on the sofa trying to watch telly and another would come and sit on this and there'd be a row because sofa child wouldn't be able to see. We had about four of those rows last night.

The more I see the fabric the more I get used to it and start to love it more. I guess, being practical, the best part is that it's hardy and durable so it should still look good in a week, unlike my first love fabric that was too expensive.

And it even served a practical function yesterday afternoon. I had a 'customer' come to place an order for hats and this was the perfect place to lay out balls of yarn, hats, flowers and all other paraphernalia so she could make all her decisions. I think it's safe to say I'm in love.

I'm also discovering my hidden child right now. Kayley brought home an Enid Blyton book Secret Seven last week. Oh no, thought I. I thought we were over story reading. But we get Janae off to bed, I make up a pot of hot chocolate and sit around the table together. We read a couple of chapters and even I have to be tough and say no to more because the story is starting to get quite exciting. I loved Enid Blyton as a child and used to tuck myself into bed to read chapter after chapter. My mother has a big suitcase of all my favourite books from childhood. I think I'm going to have to find it and get out some of my true favourites. I know Kayley would love Trixie Beldon and there's one an English teacher gave me once after I spent a term helping out the kids in remedial reading. It's called The Boundary Riders set on a big cattle farm in Australia. I've read it probably six times and have even re-read it as an adult. I really want to share it with Rogan and Kayley now.

But now I have work to do. The sun is starting to peek through the clouds so my table is beckoning me to get started. Catch you later.

1 comment:

  1. I love Trixie Beldon so much. I was obsessed with her for years and still love a good mystery because of her!!!

    ReplyDelete