About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, August 12, 2011

All about Budget

My friends have often said "oh I got this recipe from the Destitute Gormet" and I've thought . . . HUH? So I finally decided to research this enigma.

And I found this fabulous website. Most of us have to live to some kind of budget, and when you've got multiple little people in the house that budget can feel awfully tight sometimes. I know mine does on a weekly basis. So it's been wonderful to find this source of healthy, tasty and thrifty food ideas that kids will love too. I'm certainly going to try one or two out on them that's for sure.

The other huge blessing in my life has been a reminder that being a mother doesn't automatically mean you have to be a stropy mare (aka bitch) and that my children are well behaved or not depended more on my behaviour than theirs. My two school kids see a Councillor at school due to the myriad things they've been through with their biological mother and father and there's absolutely no shame in it. In fact, it's making awesome changes in their lives. But it wasn't until I sat down with her this week to chat about my gorgeous boy that I remembered to chill out, see the lighter side and to do a little more praising, a little less shouting and some more effective discipline.

So, I put on my happy face yesterday afternoon, I plugging in my positive vibes and I put a stool just inside the front door. I explained, very calmly, that the stool was henceforth the time-out spot (or the "naughty chair" as it's already been dubbed) and told them they'd get a warning and if behaviour didn't change they'd be put there for an appropriate amount of time. Janae decided she'd try it out there and then and climbed onto it, declared herself naughty and told us all to leave her alone. It was the most peaceful five minutes I've had in ages.

What a beautiful afternoon we had yesterday. The Naughty Chair didn't need to be used until this afternoon and I was amazed at the effect. Rogan screamed and shouted at me until he finally understood that the timer didn't start until he stopped yelling at me. I told him he could cry if he wanted but he needed to stop screaming at me. He did so and before the five minutes were up he was quiet and contemplative. I went down the hall after five minutes and he said "I'm sorry I shouted and was naughty. I love you." We had a cuddle and a wee chat and he was wonderful all the way to bedtime.

Of course, I'm under no illusions that I won't be in need of a good bellow because I can't contain my temper at some stage in the future. I'm also aware that my children have a tendency to be quite badly behaved when the mood takes them so the naughty chair may be frequented often but, as a parent, it's sometimes necessary to be reminded that it's a labour of love and not a dictatorship (well, I do anyway). Bless my little babies as they sleep. May tomorrow be bright, full of smiles, lots of kisses and plenty of laughter. May the same blessings fill your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment