About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My New Toy

Look at this gorgeous combination of wood and steel. The wonderful Rex has loaned me a guitar so that I can practice and get back up to speed in playing. We found ourselves short of a musician this weekend and had to sing with cds. Boy that's much harder than it seems. So I finally admitted to playing once and that if I owned a guitar I'd be able to practice and think about playing in public. Well, Rex quickly piped up that he had two spares and I was welcome to one.

I looked at it when he brought it around and panic set in.  I could only remember the G and Am chords. Thankfully he brought around chord charts too and this morning after Mainly Music I printed off some sheet music. I have spent the afternoon sitting on my bed and now I can play three songs. I fingertips are raw from the unforgiving steel strings, my wrist aches from bending around the fret and my fingers don't span as far as they used to, but I'm feeling very positive for day 2.

And when my fingers have been too sore to keep playing I've been working on this. It will, when it's complete, be a doily that I intend to send to my lovely 91 year old aunt in Canterbury, England. She's a crafty girl from way back but her hands and eyesight don't allow her to make things like this any more. She was diagnosed with cancer a couple of weeks ago so I thought I needed to send something lovely to cheer her up. Hopefully this will work. This is an almost complete motif and I will need to make about six. I will join them together with smaller yellow motifs to give it a brighter finish.

Because it's been snowing nearby (we had sleet on the orchard yesterday) it's been too cold to get out in the garden so it's been the perfect opportunity to work on something like this.

So crochet and music. Ahhh, it's almost the perfect life!

No comments:

Post a Comment