About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sometimes I'm a spineless Mother

Yesterday Kayley had the whole world running about after her trying to figure out where the best jolly was to be found. As a discipline measure I informed her that there were no post-church playdates today. As I write this lovely Brenna is here and they're packing away the blocks they've been playing with. But that's not all they've been up to today . . . 


I've known that the day of letting Kayley get going on a recipe without my constant instruction was coming and it arrived today. The girls got the "kids cookbook" off the shelf and picked out a simple cupcake recipe. Apart from a little assistance in working out that 1/2 was half, etc they did a fabulous job. 


I put the trays in and out of the oven and whipped out a couple of batches of icing, filled the icing bag and let them go to it with the decorations once the cakes were cooled. I'm not sure how appetising they look to me but the kids love them. 


Rogan is seen here on his third I think.

So it seems that even though I backed down on my disciplinary measures I'm kind of glad I did. The girls have tidied up Kayley's room and they are clearing away the mess in the toy room so they have space to make a hut. Brilliant. That's one job off my list of things to do tomorrow.

And, I was so inspired by the girls trying something new that I've made a flaky pastry for dinner. I've always been a little afraid of anything other than short pastry because all the cooking shows I watch tell me pastry is a difficult thing to do. I can bash out a short pastry in my sleep so I felt the fear and did it anyway today. It's currently chilling in the fridge ready for the final roll out and filling with left-overs from dinner last night. I'll let you know how it goes.

Needless to say, there's been little crochet going on lately. Ah well, I have six hours tomorrow so hopefully it's pouring with rain so that I can't get out in the garden, hang washing out or do anything outdoors so I can make a few more blocks of my blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment