About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

An Angel at my Door

The children and I had been away for the weekend and when we returned home on Sunday we found a box sitting outside our front door. In this box was a collection of children's toys, puzzles and games. And, there was also a Jean Greenhowe knitted doll book featuring a family of scarecrows.

I have been coveting these in Spotlight every time I go in the hope that the $20 price tag has magically become $2 but alas this hasn't happened so far and, as much as I love her patterns, they are way down on the craft purchase list of priorities.

So, needless to say, I've been cajoled into making three of the scarecrow family for my children. As Rogan is usually the last to have anything made for him purely based on gender and his lack of love for pretty little things, I'm making Grandpa for him first of all. It's all going rather well so hopefully I'll have him complete by the weekend.

I have a sewing project to start on Monday. Last week I got a dress pattern for Janae. It's the first sewing pattern I've ever purchased so I'm taking my time over even starting it. I need to get some buttons and a little more fabric and I'll be ready to start on Monday morning.

This week's Crafty Monday was a bit of a blow out. I seem to be suffering from that nasty lethargy that sets in just before summer arrives. So instead of being creative I went out to lunch instead. But I did have a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon where the children were all playing happily and I snuck into my newly appointed sewing room to make this . . .

It's a little handbag that I'd found on Pinterest and reserved some of my left over fabric to make sometime. The instructions weren't all together clear so I had to kind of figure it out but I'm still pretty happy with the finished product. The pattern/instructions can be found here.

What is becoming apparent quite quickly, is that if I'm going to continue sewing I may have to add an overlocker to the top of my birthday wish list. As it's going to be my 40th birthday I'm hoping the birthday fairy might be generous enough to provide more than one thing off my wish list. Here's hoping anyway.

Right, back to the real world. The roast mutton is in the oven and the house is filled with the scent of roasting rosemary from my garden. The children are screaming at each other over some squabble or other and Grandpa is wanting more work done on him before the real grandparents arrive for dinner . . . not to mention the day's play residue all over the living room floor that needs clearing up too. So I'd better leave cyberland now and head off home again.


No comments:

Post a Comment