About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Hottie Heaven . . . Tutorial

I had so much fun making a hot water bottle cover for Janae that I just had to make more and then realised that it's such an easy and quick thing to do that I'd share how I do it. So here goes:


Step 1: Get the hot water bottle you want to cover and make your pattern around it on some paper. It's really important to leave a generous seam allowance as once the bottle is filled it is fatter and I had trouble getting Janae's into the completed case.

Pin your pattern to your fabric. I've made one front and two back pieces so that it's just like a slip cover.

Step 2: Pin down the top opening flap of both the front and the back. And turn over 2cm of the two back pieces and sew these all down.

The top flaps will give some strength to the top opening of your cover and a neater finish.

Step 3: With right sides together pin the two back pieces to the front and sew around leaving the neck open. I used a generous seam of about 3 cm because I dont' have an overlocker and wanted to be sure that the seams were well situated.

Step 4: Turn the case inside out and press. That's all you need to do. You can use some kind of device to close your cover at the back but I haven't yet decided what to use. I'm currently debating between press studs or velcro. Buttons would be great, but I need to practice my button holes a whole to more before I do them for real.

And that's all there is to it. I made two in about an hour last night. The Cars one is for Rogan's little friend . . . it's his birthday party tomorrow and he's mad on the Cars 2 stuff since I took the boys to see the movie. He's also the kind of child who has everything he could wish for so I can almost be certain he won't have a Cars Hot Water Bottle. Here's hoping he likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment