About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, September 30, 2011

It's Turned into Crafty Friday Here

Remember I'd said I was going to hand embroider some bibs as gifts? Well, I've found some beautiful fabric that my rusty embroidery stitching wouldn't come close to so I decided I'd just go with this design instead.

I've taken the template off one of Janae's old bibs and got the technique from the She Sews blog which I must remember to add to my reading list. I am so in love with this I almost wish I had another baby (that's almost wish). And they're SUPER easy. All I need now is to get some velcro to stitch on and we're away.

I also want to find out if I can source iron on vinyl here in Tauranga because, being cotton, these bibs are going to get a bit grubby. And, being cotton, they're probably going to need ironing, but don't tell my mum's-to-be that.

This was the project I was going to start on today. But, being a reformed "bull-in-a-china-shop" I sat down and carefully pulled out the instructions. I got to Step 2 and realised I didn't have any interfacing left. Then I looked at the cutting out layout and lost my nerve. I'll wait until Mum is back from her little holiday to the Lakes and get her to assist me laying it all out I think. I'd hate to make a huge mistake that can't be fixed before I've even started.

And I was up late last night finishing off Sonny. I started this little guy because I had no other wool related projects to be getting on with. I had no idea what was going to be done with him but I started. The day after he was conceived I ran into my friend Jo who was furiously filling a shoe box for Operation Christmas Child and only needed to find "something to love" as she put it. Quite conveniently I had Sonny stashed in my bag and I whipped him out, mid creation, and asked if she'd like to send him off to Fiji. We thought the boxes had to be handed in today so I was furiously knitting until midnight to get him finished. I've now discovered there's another week before the deadline so he's safely stashed away in Jo's shoe box.

If you're interested in sending some gifts to children who wouldn't normally receive any gifts then check out the link and find out where you can get a shoe box. It's a great way to teach your children that there are little ones out there who are not as fortunate as they are. This year I'm going to make a few bits and bobs and the children and I are going to head up to the Children's ward at our local hospital to give some gifts. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive, just lots of love.

Now I'd better clear away my sewing clutter and find some lunch. I was so eager to get on with creating I completely forgot about breakfast and I'm starving. Have a great weekend!

OH NO!!!!
I was just proof reading this post and hear some strange noises . . . I rushed into the other room to find my beautiful old Singer Sewing Machine (the very one I've just been working on) furiously puffing with smoke. It's now out on the patio (don't want the house to burn down) so that's the end of my sewing for a bit. Better move "New Sewing Machine" up to the top of my 40th birthday wish list I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment