About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

She might be vintage but she works a treat!

Look at this gorgeous old darling. This was what my mother got for her 21st birthday. I can't believe it still works, and I can't believe I can work it.

I was going to put this little sewing project off until Monday morning when the children are out of the house and it's all quiet but for some strange reason I just can't seem to resist sewing something.

So this morning I lumbered the "new" old machine onto the table, logged on to my computer and found the blog to make this make-up bag, and got started.

I have had one or two issues, mainly the zip, which I've never done before. The corners were a bit tricky too and my zip was a little be too long. But, with a bit of fudging, I've managed to get it looking pretty good and make it work too.

It has a contrasting lining and interfacing and all sorts of fun and scary bits that I thought I'd never get done, but I'm really pleased with it as a first attempt.

Now I wish I'd got a few zips as I want to make another to get right all the things I did wrong. I think these are going to be great little Christmas treats for my girls and my friends. I think I'll make these and get some glorious little hand creams, nail files and other mummy treats to go in them. I doubt I'll even wrap them . . . maybe just a bow.

Now my only problem is . . . what am I going to do on Monday morning? I'm sure I'll find something.

As it's only 10am on Saturday morning, and as I have only one child at home this morning I think I might melt down the candle that's drooping in my dining room window and try another new trick. I'll keep you "posted"!

1 comment:

  1. The bag is beautiful and I love the Singer...I have an old White machine....

    ReplyDelete