About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Crafty Monday

It's the very last day of the school holidays. It's been quite good but I'm hanging out for it to be over tomorrow. Still, I've managed to get some crafting done today while sitting out under the umbrella.

I put the rotary cutter to use this morning and churned out a bunch of squares. The only issue is that I felt like I had an enormous pile of squares to be sewn together and when I got to the sewing machine and started putting them together the pile disappeared very quickly.

Still, only three more rows to go and I'll be ready to do the border and then put it all together. I'm really starting to love this quilt and can't wait until it's hanging off the back of the sofa. As I watched the All Blacks narrowly win the Rugby World Cup last night I thought "hmmm, a little chilly. What a shame I don't have the quilt finished" so I think it's going to be handy as well as colourful.

I have also been commission to make a baby blanket and I've made a start on this. It's been strangely difficult to get started as I've trawled through most of my books, loads of online patterns and pictures. You see, the new baby isn't born yet and its parents don't want to know if it's a boy or a girl. Therefore, I have to make a "genderless" blanket. This is almost impossible to do I've discovered. So I've finally decided on white as it's so neutral, and a soft green for some of the borders and a yellow flower. The flower squares will form a diamond within the collection of squares. I'll finish it off with a yellow frilly border and hope that this isn't too girly if baby turns out to be a boy. But then I keep reminding myself that it doesn't matter if baby is a boy because babies are just gorgeous and blankets are gorgeous and they both go together regardless of gender. Let's hope the person I'm making it for feels the same.

Now the children are making my headache worse by playing up because it's time to head off to Nanny and Granddad's house so I can throw them in the deep end of the pool. (It's pool cleaning day and there's only about 40cm of water in the pool so they're not likely to drown. I am thinking I might secretly stash an overnight bag into the car for Janae and see if I can con the folks into keeping her there for the night so I can have a quiet morning tomorrow once the older kids are safely at school. We'll see how that goes!

1 comment: