About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

What is it about the sunshine?

We arose this morning full of beans and ready for some housework. Now, I don't usually expect help from my children . . . they usually duck out the side door and run for the hills. But this morning my girls thought cleaning the bathroom would be the most fun in the world.

They did a fairly good job too, and I tried not to dent their pride in their work by going behind them to add some elbow grease to the mirror that was looking more than a little smeared. I don't think they even noticed.

Janae spent about half an hour on this one wall of the shower. I'm not all together sure why they cleaned this shower as it's very rarely used. I despise cleaning shower glass so I mostly make the three of them shower in my tiled shower but nothing was ever harmed through a thorough clean (at least I don't think it has, Rogan and his neck may disagree from time to time).

And then I was concerned that all this sunshine would mean that I'd have to get out and mow the lawn. But, the Spring season was on my side and once lunch was over the heavens opened up and I felt obliged to get started on Janae's dress.

Under the watchful eye of my mother I carefully cut out the pattern. Because of my complete dread and trepidation it took over an hour. I have to say Mum was very calm and patient and didn't tell me to "get on with it" once, which is what I'd probably have said had the shoe been on the other foot.

Because Rogan was out gallivanting with Granddad and the girls were playing so nicely elsewhere I also set to with the sewing part.

How is it that I have managed to avoid falling in love with sewing before? Beats me, but the bug has definitely caught me. I even got back to it once the children were in bed, but realised I need elastic for the pockets and don't have any so I've had to reluctantly stop. Ah well, good thing the rugby is on tonight or I'd be very upset.

I kick myself every time I blog as I never get around to taking my pictures until night time and you just can't see the colours properly. But, once it's finished I'll be sure to photograph my girl wearing it, outdoors.

It has been amazing to note that, as with my learning process in knitting and crochet, I am following the directions to the letter and have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. But, the faithful follower will find the prize in the end and this is the case with sewing. I have just completed putting the contrast down the skirt fronts and my mind had this as the top of the skirt instead of the opening. I doubted the directions right through to the completion and then realisation dawned on how it fits together. Silly me!

Okay, the kettle is on, the anthems are about to be sung any moment and the first semi-final of the Rugby World Cup will be underway. What a nice way to take our minds off PSA kiwifruit virus and a very large ship leaking unknown amounts of oil into the sea at our local beach.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment