About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, November 25, 2011

So much to do

And really, so little time, but it's still loads of fun. Here's the almost complete picture frame upcycle project. I know it's not square in the frame and it's a little rumpled, but I've only placed it in the frame to see the effect thus far.

Of course, the truly amusing thing about this is that, so far, I haven't even done anything to the frame. I intend to paint it cream on Monday and, once it's dry, sand it back so you can see some of the brown through it and hopefully achieve a somewhat distressed look.

And on a completely different note: I was given some cash for my birthday so that I could get what I really wanted. As my little handbeater gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago (this being my only tool for beating ingredients necessary for cake making) I realised that I needed to invest in a cake mixer.

I grew up with a Kenwood (I believe these to be the Rolls Royce of cake mixers) but they're HUGELY expensive and I've never dreamed I would own one until my mother left me hers; of course, she's never going to die so I'll never have it. Well, with my birthday money, and a top up from mum for Christmas I'm now the proud owner of a Kenwood cake mixer. Unfortunately Mum has decided it needs to stay at her house until Christmas day so I can't make anything yet. However, it did force me to clear out my pantry so that when my lovely mixer arrives home there's a space for it.

Are you the kind of mother who lobs everything she doesn't want the children to get hold of right at the top of your pantry? Yep! Me too so clearing it out was a double blessing. Any hooo, I cleared it out and found this:

This is an Italian glass ccoffee cup that was given to me by my employers when I left my publishing job many years ago. I'm ashamed to say that, at the time, I decided they can't have liked me much because I considered it hideous. However, when I got it out of the box and set it up on my bookshelf yesterday (the one that is currently my display case for my lovely kitchen things) I realised that I am now, totally in love with it. I do hate the idea of drinking hot beverages out of glass as my tender little fingers get burnt, but it's still fun to look at.

So you can see it's been a productive couple of days. Now I need to knuckle down to my current Greenhowe project as I've a million other things I need to make before Christmas and it's one little girl's fourth birthday in exactly one week.  Arghhhhhhhhh! Too much to do!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Happy Belated Birthday! I'm a little behind on post reading, so just got caught up...you got some great gifts and yes you have fantastic friends! You upcycle came out wonderfully...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cup too - perhaps it's a good gin and tonic one. I have a kenwood chef too and it is the most amazing thing in the world - mine was second hand ($60) and they go forever - Chap's in town have all the spare parts you will ever and probably never need. They even service them. Lots of love, Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete