About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Heavenly Headbands

I pinned a lovely crochet headband on Pinterest the other day and my dear friend Corleah quickly responded to it asking when I'd be ready to take orders as she wanted one for her daughter and one for herself.

Well, this got me motivated (and distracted from other pressing tasks) and I "clicked" down into the pin to find the pattern on Ravelry. Hmmm. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it actually linked to a book of lovely crochet patterns to buy. Now what was I to do?

Only one thing for it . . . design my own. So this afternoon while the children swung between playing happily and overtired induced tantrums, I made this. I'm really quite pleased with it. The reason I had to make it so quickly was we were seeing Corleah at a shared dinner tonight and I wanted to see if it would meet with her expectations. Thankfully it did so now I need to go and get some lovely cottons and make some for real.

The picture from Pinterest . . . found here . . . has an elastic join. As I've completely run out of elastic I decided to do a twisted cord tie instead. This also has worked really well, but my ties may be a touch on the long side.

The thing that truly amazes me about this is that a headband, particularly a crochet one, is not something I'd have ever made for myself. But I've had it on since I finished it and I'm completely in love with it. It's comfortable, looks pretty good, light around my head and keeps my hair from my face. I have a feeling I'll be making quite a few of these in the future and may become part of my signature wardrobe. Well, in truth, it may be the start of my signature wardrobe as I haven't yet (even at 40) discovered what my signature is.

And now it's Sunday night. The children have passed out in seconds as they're so tired they're unbearable. It's the first day of kindy tomorrow, school day too and I have five . . . yes five . . . whole childfree days this week. I can scarcely contain my excitment, but I have to or the little cherubs may feel unloved. Wow, what other treasures can I come up with in five whole days? Let's see!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job...I usually wear headbands, but these kind tend to fall off my head...It's very pretty...

    ReplyDelete