About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Monday, January 2, 2012

And another headband complete

DSCF2288

I had promised Corleah these headbands well before Christmas and just didn’t get a chance to make them. Then feeling very guilty when she asked me about them the other day I decided it was time to just get on with it.

As with all things that we put off, it really didn’t take long to make and was quite enjoyable too. I just had to remember that, as a family, we’re all quite big headed (that’s not meaning we’re full of ourselves though) so I had to show some restraint as the recipients of these have lovely petite heads.

DSCF2287

I made this from the same yarn as yesterday’s headband, but using a beautiful pearl colour. It’s difficult to see from the photographs but it’s lovely and glossy and Corleah has the most beautiful dark brown hair so it’s going to look fabulous. I wonder if she’ll let me take a photograph of her wearing it tomorrow. I also used at 3.5mm hook instead of the 2mm one.

Now for the pattern:

Chain 3, join with a slip stitch to form a ring.

Rnd 1:
Chain 1, 16 single crochet into ring. Join with a slip stitch into first single crochet.

Rnd 2:
Chain 7, single crochet into same stitch as starting. *Chain 3, skip one single crochet, single crochet in next stitch. Chain 3, skip one single crochet, single crochet in next stitch. Chain 7, single crochet in same stitch. Repeat from * three times. Chain 3, skip 1 single crochet, single crochet in next, chain 3, skip 1 single crochet, single crochet in first chain of starting chain 7.

Rnd 3:
Slip stitch into Chain 7 space. Chain 1 *6 single crochet, chain 2, 6 single crochet (corner made). 3 single crochet in 3 chain space, chain 1, 3 single crochet in next three chain space. Repeat from * around. Join with a slip stitch into the first single crochet. Fasten off.

To join motifs
6 single crochet into 7 chain space, ch 1, slip stitch into 2 chain corner of completed motif. 6 single crochet into 7 chain space. 3 single crochet into 3 chain space, slip stitch into 1 chain space on completed motif, 3 single crochet in next three chain space. 6 single crochet into 7 chain space, chain 2, slip stitch into 2 chain space on corner of completed motif, 6 single crochet into 7 chain space. Complete the motif as per Round 3 above.

Border
Rnd 1
:
Join yarn to any 2 chain corner. 1 single crochet, chain 2, 1 single crochet into corner, *chain 5, single crochet into 1 chain space, chain 5 single crochet between corners**, repeat *-** along each side, making 1 single crochet, chain 2, 1 single crochet in each corner. Repeat from * around and join with a slip stitch into first single crochet.

Rnd 2:
Slip stitch into 2 chain corner space. *1 single crochet, chain 1, 1 single crochet in corner, 8 single crochet in each chain 5 space. Repeat from * around. Join with slip stitch into first single crochet. Fasten off and tie in ends.

I made twisted ties for this headband too, but used two strands rather than the one for the child’s headband. Again, if you have head measurements, elastic sewn to both ends of the headband would be great too.

And finally today, I want to share another challenge I’ve decided to take up this year. Our minister challenged us to read the Bible in a year. One thing I’ve always been keen to do is read the Bible chronologically as it’s quite a fascinating story when read in order. So I Googled it last night and found a great 1 year plan to read it chronologically. So, just in case anyone else is interested in taking up this challenge, each Monday I will put the week’s readings at the bottom of my Crafty Monday post. If you’re anything like me, you’ll probably read three days worth in one go and then skip a few days. That’s all good too.

So this weeks readings are:

Mon: Gen 1-3; Tues Gen 4-7; Wed Gen 8-11; Thurs Job 1-5; Friday Job 6-9, Sat Job 10-13, Sun 14-16. I was so interested in it last night I did all my Genesis readings and now I’m up to Job already. But, going away on holiday on Saturday with my parents and three children means I’d probably better get a bit ahead of myself or I’ll be behind before I’ve even started. Oh dear . . . that was all a bit of female logic.

Hope your week is treating you well. xx

2 comments:

  1. This is just what I have been looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your patterns. I came here looking for a pattern and have spent the better part of an hour reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your life. I am also the mother of a little one and it feels good to know that I am not the only one going through things. I have awarded you The Liebster Blog Award. Details are on my blog. Anna:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your lovely comments. As a blogger you'll know that sometimes it feels like we're blogging into a void and sometimes that's exactly what, as mothers, we need. But it's always great to know that someone else understands. I hope the headband works and I'm off now to check out your blog. Belinda x

    ReplyDelete