About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Monday, January 23, 2012

There are some days . . .

When I realise that I’m am, in all honesty, a bit thick. You see, I have a moan, on a constant basis that no one listens when I tell them I want a gazebo to go over my patio for my birthday or Christmas. And this morning we were all sweltering in the sun and I had a private moan to myself.

DSCF2350

Janae had taken her kitchen outdoors to mix up a concoction of juice, water and weet bix (her daily cereal of choice).

DSCF2351

Rogan brought out his little marble run that he’d made and tried out Janae’s drink (without much enthusiasm it seems). Meanwhile I sat on my swing seat realised I needed to get the kids some shade.

DSCF2352

Out came their manky old paddling pool gazebo, which totally did the trick. But where was mine I kept asking. I knew I had a patio in shade around the other side but kept thinking I needed a table and chairs out there to really enjoy it. Suddenly I looked up and there, in bright sunlight was an outdoor table and chairs that we never use because they’re in full sun.

So, without further ado I marched them all round to the other side of the house, still in cool shade and made up my home there for the morning.

DSCF2353

I feel so silly that I hadn’t thought of it way back at the beginning of summer and that I’ve suffered from sun burned knees for weeks now. Oh well, the upside is this . . .

DSCF2354

I managed to get four more squares done for Kayley’s birthday cushion. Actually, it’s turning out huge so I may have to call it a pillow soon. I just makes me think of a summer garden (belonging to a gardener rather than my summer garden).

DSCF2357

And while the children were in the pool this afternoon I made a couple more of these. I still kick myself that I didn’t think of the whole grey and white combo being stunning. It’s difficult to leave these alone long enough to make more of the cushion/pillow. Ah the dilemma of having too many exciting things to make.

I did, however, go to bed very late last night having stayed up making the square on the right, thinking I’m bordering on obsession now. And to think, a few years ago I hated granny squares with a vengeance. What was I thinking?

3 comments:

  1. the grey/white combo is stunning! enjoy your new shady spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's never enough hours in the day! Both of those projects are so gorgeous, I'm inspired to be friendlier toward the grey yarns next time I go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, I'm sooooo loving crocheting with them. Looking forward to seeing what you might make with colours such as these!

    ReplyDelete